Whether you go to school full-time and have a part-time job or vice-versa, you already know the challenges of trying to keep up with your school assignments and your job. It certainly isn’t easy, but there are strategies that can help you succeed at managing this larger load.
Manage your time
Time management is a key component to academic and professional success. It’s a skill that will help you concentrate on what is most important.
- Make a to-do list
- Prioritize your work
- Break larger projects into smaller ones
- Set goals and deadlines for assignments
Maintain a healthy lifestyle
Your physical and emotional health plays a significant role in your academic, professional, and personal success. Take time to create and maintain an active wellness plan.
- Eat healthfully
- Exercise and sleep regularly
- Make time for yourself
- Enjoy and spend time with friends and family
Control your stress
Stress is a positive attribute because it keeps you focused and aware of all the things that need to be done. It can be a motivator for you to study harder and complete assignments and projects on time. When your stress level becomes too intense or lasts too long, you may be in stress overload. You can control your stress thru one of the following ways:
- Ask for help
- Practice positive self-talk
- Talk to a friend or loved one
- Utilize meditation, massage, and breathing exercises to help you relax
Avoid being a perfectionist
There’s nothing wrong with striving to do the best you can. The key is in knowing your limitations. You can be a high achiever without being a perfectionist by practicing the following behaviors:
- Set standards that are high but achievable
- View mistakes as opportunities for growth and learning
- React positively to constructive feedback
Betty Boza is a career development specialist for the Fulton Schools Career Center. Her primary responsibility is assisting online, graduate and doctoral students with all aspects of career development including résumé preparation, professional network expansion, effective job search strategies and mock interviews.